Sunday, December 19, 2010

Winter Update


Well it's been a cold winter here in Florida. The frost has killed off our tomatoes and peppers but the root vegetables have survived as well as cabbage. So we will have to start over for a tomatoe/pepper harvest. I have been keeping busy crafting christmas/yule gifts and even joined a couple of craft swaps that have send out dates in January just for the crafting fun of it.
Yesterday was profitable in that I came across one of those curbside alerts where someone is cleaning out a rental house and throwing out the previous tenants stuff that was left behind. I missed out on the rattan loveseat (someone snatched it before I could get a friend to come help lend a hand) but I did luck out on a 100 gallon aquarium setup, only thing missing is the stand which I can make for around $90. I hate waste but love it when I come across some wonderful freebies because someone does not know how to donate to local charity/thrift stores. And living in a college town definitely has it's dumpster diving perks. I have so far gotten every tv I own from a dumpster, furniture, antiques, camping gear, and my friend got a brand new iPod just because someone did not know how to charge it first and threw it away thinging it was broke. NUTS! All they need is a little TLC and some repair and bammo you got yourself a cheap addition to your home. I have taken old gym equipment that someone has thrown in the dumpster, cleaned it, then taken it to a resale sports store and made some money selling it. Someone else will get it cheap to use and I got some easy free money. So as much as they annoy me with their wasteful ways I gotta be thankful for them for the free bounty they have provided me throughout the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment